The oldest commercial structure in Chandler, the Monroe building was built in 1912. It is included as a contributing structure of Chandler’s Commercial Historic District and is currently listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Originally built to house small shops on the first floor with offices and meeting rooms for the Chandler Improvement Company on the second floor. From these very offices, the company planned the new town and offered land for sale.
At the beginning of World War II, the Monroe building was remodeled into the Parkway Theatre --
Chandler’s second theater, and very first to have sound. This portion of the building collapsed prior to
Desert Viking purchasing the property in 1998. As part of Desert Viking’s restoration plan, the old theater
was converted into an award-winning outdoor garden patio. The original structure was renovated to house a
restaurant space and 3,500 square foot landscaped patio on the first floor and restored offices on the
second floor. Desert Viking received the Arizona Heritage Preservation Honor Award in 2002
for its incredible preservation and restoration work on the Monroe Building.
Project Address: 12‐28 S. San Marcos Place, Chandler, AZ 85225
Project Type: Commercial
Original Use: Offices, Movie Theatre
Renovated Use: Restaurants and Office
Year Built: Circa 1912
Year Renovated: (DV) 1998
Building Size: 6,300 SF
Tenants: Mobillogix / SalesLyft, El Zocalo Mexican Grille